Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Update on the Reading List

I've been SO bad with updating this..

I started Wuthering Heights on Monday, I had an hour and a bit to spare and ended up reading 125 pages LOL.

I bought it and Great Expectations from my favorite little book exchange and the Penguin Classics covers are deevine!



I'm loving this book.  I loved the BBC miniseries that aired here last year.. it actually got me into reading all my Jane Austen novels I had a HUGE compilation of (thing is three inches nearly four thick and weighs on the old wrists when you hold it up)

I see the actors in the book as the characters... I can even hear their voices.  BUT its still different.

There truly is a reason why some books are deemed classics.  Even now, so many years after this was written its still beautiful to read.  Still takes you to a different time and space and the setting.. the cold moors with the wind howling.

You can hear and see it.



REVIEW

Anne Enright - The Gathering

I finished this over a week ago, but I was letting it wallow in my mind before I even tried to come up with why I loved it.

It's been SO long since I've read a 'real book' not fanfiction. Not Young Adult novels.  But a book written by an adult for an adult about adult themes.

This book one the Booker Prize.  It has amazing writing not only in tone and setting but you feel what the main character feels.  You can hear the lilt and tumble of the irish accents and you see the ghosts as they appear throughout.  This book deals with grief, and how one moment changed the innocence of a brother and his beloved sister. 

You find out about this family, the way their made up the odds and ends and mix of such a larger gathering of different personalities.  So different you might even wonder how they all came from the same parents at all.


0 comments:

Post a Comment